Sweet Sound (kinda long)

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:26:30 -0700

Jim,

Well, I'll hesitatingly take my foot out of my mouth long enough to say
something and probably fit that foot right back again. Jim asked to find
out what the "experts" are doing, but I'll answer anyway, Jim. Real
experts are working too hard at it to write E-mail much <g>

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking and non-scientific testing of
tuning methods and tuning sounds. Of those few musicians outside of
Kawai whom I tune for, I have asked them the questions "Do you hear
differences in tone quality from one tuner to the next" and "How would
you characterize this tuning." (meaning the one I just did)

This is a little bit of a loaded question, as the musician tends to want
to give a favorable review with me right in front of them, but the
general trend of the answers is that this tuning is "warm and sweet."
I'm not sure I know what that means exactly, but I have a few ideas
based on recent comparisons with stored electronic tunings from other
technicians which I have looked at and tried out a little.

Jim - you have an idea how I tune (at least how I tune under duress!)
from the PTG convention last year (to the list - I pre-tuned the 4 RX-5
pianos before Jim and Virgil got to them for the tune-off) Virgil's
comments were that my tuning was very similar to his, which I took as a
complement although I certainly don't think I tune in he same way he
does. So Jim, what was your take on my tunings?

The Kawai pianos I tune most of the time are well suited to my tuning
style, I think, because they have relatively low inharmonicity and work
well with clean sounding octaves and slightly slow beating temperament
intervals. However, some of my private clients have Steinway and Mason &
Hamlin pianos and they still feel my tunings are warm and sweet
sounding. I haven't taken the time to analyze my tunings on those
pianos, because I am there to provide service and can't spend time on my
own pursuits.

My conclusion is probably totally erroneous, so please comment. But here
is my tentative take on what makes some tunings sound sweet and others
more bright, or perhaps "aggressive" is a good term:
- 3rd beat rates somewhat slow in the temperament section,
- 5ths even but not necessarily all that slow.
- Octaves between 2:1 and 4:2 in the middle of the piano.
- Treble octaves tuned as clean as possible between 2:1 and 4:1 double
octaves
- High treble tuned 2:1 - I find this is extremely rare in other tuners,
and I haven't decided why exactly. It seems most tune this area using a
sense of pitch as much as anything, but I can't get a handle on being
consistent using this method.
- Low bass clean (somewhere between 4:2 and 6:3 octaves), but wowing
wide conservatively in the lowest octave, with the wow being with the
loudest beat - not to a specific type of octave.

My gut feeling is that the treble cleanness is beneficial to the sustain
of the notes, giving the sweetness to the tone.  I don't have time to
think up and carry out a proper test of this, though. Maybe some day.

BTW, I always strive for the cleanest unisons possible, and I am a hard
beater of the keys with frequent test blows, but I tune on consistent mf
- f(forte) playing usually. I also much prefer the sound of the tuning
when tuned with full muting of the piano with temperament strips and the
rear duplex muted off. I find I can really hear all the beats best this
way, and I know what I am doing.

When I tune with an ETD, my tuning definitely measures as more accurate
and consistent note to note, but it doesn't sound better because of
this, to my ear anyway. This is even when I have set the EDT  to match
my octave stretch preferences - the end result still sounds different
from the aural tuning.  I have experimented a little with customizing
the Reyburn Cybertuner's tunings to match my own as closely as possible,
and so far I am still not satisfied - I need to tune many more pianos
with it to be able to say for sure if this can truly create an "Aural"
tuning, as I'd like it to.

I suspect that the small unevenness of the aural tuning one can measure
is demonstrating that the ear is adjusting to the unevenness of the
piano. There is also undeniably a larger margin of error in the ear
tunings, but the results seem to fit the sound of the piano, rather than
the calculation of what the piano scale should sound like.

Let me restate something, though. The differences between my own tunings
(aural or EDT) are miniscule, are only audible to me and some pianists
(and probably some other technicians, though technicians tend to listen
differently than musicians), and probably don't matter a lick in the
real world of banging in pitch raises and tunings on average pianos.
Even the audibility of the "Sweetness factor" may not stand up to a
careful double-blind listening test. As you have discovered, Jim, such
tests are extremely difficult to carry out with pianos, so we will
probably have to continue with anecdotal evidence.

I've probably said too much, and now everyone will flame me.

Don Mannino

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/ms-tnef