Down on the Hitch Pin Web

John McKone mckonejw@SKYPOINT.COM
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:20:49 -0500 (CDT)

Bill, list

It has always been my understanding that the bell has more to do with
adding rigidity to the plate than with controlling downbearing.  Increased
rigidity reduces plate vibration, thus allowing more energy transfer to the
board

But I bet Dell or someone else will have a clearer (and more supportable)
answer.

John McKone

>Esteemed Colleagues, I'd like to know what's real here, so pitch in
>

>The pianist then mentions a technician once worked a miracle with a similar
>dead treble by adjusting the bolt which ties to the bell. (He has no idea
>in which direction.) I crank crank up 3/4 of a turn until the bolt is
>loose. The pianist plays, but nobody hears any difference. I go back down
>to the starting point, and beyond by 1/2 turn until it begins to require
>uncomfortable amounts of torque. In neither case does the dial indicator
>show a change in db. But going down, they all say, yeah that sounds more
>like it.
>
>What's going on here? Is there a real effect? There is of course Rick
>Davenport's oft-told story of Heiner Seinwald doing exactly this same thing
>(or recommending that Rick do the same). I can understand not seeing an
>immediate change in db on the way upwards, as  the plate might not
>immdiately react to take new upward freedom. But what gives in the
>direction down when the db doesn't show a change and the musicians hear a
>difference? Is the pianist simply getting used to the newly filed hammers?
>
>I less interested in suggestion on voicing (or for that matter, new
>strings/hammers which it badly needs, or even discreet sound reinforcing)
>than on people's specific experience with reseting the htich pin web at the
>bell.
>But I'll consider all comments (including the one about the santero priest).
>
>TIA
>
>Bill Ballard, RPT
>New Hampshire Chapter, PTG
>
>"May you work on interesting pianos."