Down on the Hitch Pin Web

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:52:28 -0700 (MST)

Hi Bill:

My take on your situation is that you would have to crank down quite a bit
more to see any change on your dial indicator as far as downbearing is
concerned. The soundboard is more flexible than the plate, so it goes along
with minor changes in the plate. If you were to reach the place where the
board is so constrained that it can not move anymore, then you would begin
to see some DB indication. Conversely, if you were to lower just one string
on a Baldwin AccuJust hitchpin, you would not notice any change in the
neighboring note's DB, but there would be a tremendous DB change in the one
you lowered. However, the tone of that one note would not be affected
measureably. If you then lowered the rest of the notes in that area, you
would notice a tonal change, but the DB of the original note would not be
as much as when you first set it.

Most of the better pianos which I have measured show a consistent DB of
.010" or around 1 1/2 degrees.

Jim Coleman, Sr.