Sweet Sound Tuning

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:43:24 -0400

Leaving aside the issues of temperament and unisons the remaining issue
is octaves and in tuning octaves on a piano there is indeed a "sweet
spot".

It is initially noticable in the lower (bot  not lowest) where an octave
acquires a larger tone than at any other point of expansion.  Another
place to learn to listen for this "power point" is tuning octaves up
from the temperament octave around C5 or so.

It requires delicate and precise control of the stretch of the octave so
find this one single point.  Every piano and every octave has this
unique "sweet spot", "power point" that once one learns what to listen
for can be found and then one searches for it during each tuning.

On a decently scaled instrument this will almost inevitably lead one to
stack two, three and sometimes four octaves with not beats.

I believe this type of tuning lends itself to the most power the piano
can generate.

Compared to the SAT FAC tunings I like to strecht my 4th 5th and 6th
octaves a little more and my 7th octave less to attain this tuning.  The
bass is just about right only needing a compensation for uneven scaling.

I describe this as introducing an expanded beat into the octave that is
so long it does not produce a discernable beat but has and maintains the
rising charactoristic of a beat..

                            Newton