Baldwin info, please

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:26:53 -0400 (EDT)

A customer of mine who's shopping for a used piano has come across a
Baldwin that has the letter E preceding the serial number. Quoting from
her message:

"He said the fallboard says: Baldwin, Cincinnati, USA. Inside on the plate
it reads: Baldwin Trade Mart, ... The House of Baldwin, established 1862
... Grand Prix de Paris 1900 ... Grand Prize 1904 ... Baldwin
Manufacturing Company, Cincinnati, OH, USA. He says there is an "E"
embossed in a corner.  He said the serial number, found under the desk,
clearly reads E - 62794."

Anyone know what to make of this? I called Baldwin and the person I spoke
with said that she couldn't find any information on grand pianos whose
serial number was prefixed with the letter E.

I'd appreciate the enlightenment.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan