Surprised, sad castor cups

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:56:13 -0500

Hi All,
Today I took the 3 sets of castor cups I have completed with me on my
calls.  The first set was mahogany, the 2nd ebonized cherry, and the 3rd
cherry.  I packed them individually wrapped in paper towel each in a box.
On my 3rd client, a mahogany La Petite I was talking to the lady about her
piano.  I will do more on the piano in another post.  She noticed that I
did other things than just tuning like piano benches and castor cups.  She
had some small metal cups under it now.  I talked a little about how little
they were and that it wasn't much different than the castor packing down
her rug and suggested that I had some in the truck and I could bring them
in and show her them.  I did  as I unpacked them one at a time she looked
at the solid mahogany ones and asked how much were they.  $49.50  I blurted
out, not prepared for a firm price yet.  She says fine I'll take these.  So
I took them and lifted up one side of the piano at a time and replaced her
junky looking metals ones with my fine looking mahogany ones.  Golly, they
looked great under there.  I really hated to part with them since I only
had them with me for one day on calls and had to part with them.  What a
rush.  I guess that answers the question, can you get more than $30 for a
set of 3, You betcha.
	If you all are interested in what they look like I can scan a jpig
attachment to e-mail if you tell me if you want to see the antique cherry
ones or the now departed mahogany ones. I just got my pictures back I am
doing this not to try to sell them to you but to encourage all of you to
investigate the possibility of doing these things yourselves for pleasure
and a little money.  The ones I have seen from Schaff are not real walnut,
or mahogany, they are poplar and stained to the colour.  As they say, there
ain't nothin like the real thing, Baby.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
Piano Service and Piano Periperals
pianoman@inlink.com            May I listen as well as I hear.