damper leads

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 19:34:12 -0500

Mark Graham wrote:

>I am having a problem with small lead weights falling out of the damper
>underlevers on our many Kawai grands. The holes have enlarged, and even at
>this time of year when I push the weights back in they are sometimes
>loose. Is there an easy technique to size the holes or whatever, that
>doesn't involve removing the parts?
>
>Mark Graham
>Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music

This problem is a real pet peeve of mine. I put some inward facing
"spikes" on the tips of the jaws of a pair of parallel pliers (similar to
#282 in the Schaff tool catalog) to swedge these small damper leads. The
tool is tricky because it has to be able to slide in between the
underlevers under the top flanges to get at the 2nd and 3rd leads. I
tried to interest some of the tool makers in creating this tool, but they
seemed to think the problem was not widespread enough to warrant the
development of a special tool, and they also thought that this would be a
"warranty situation" anyway. (I replied that a few squeezes with some
pliers would be easier than making a call to arrange for warranty
work...) I have seen this problem myself on Steinways, Yamahas, and Young
Changs. Thank you for adding Kawai to my list.

Kent Swafford