Venturing into HT

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:50:41 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Ed,

   Glad to see you posting again.

>Avery  writes, inre introducing an artist to HT's
>
>>P.S. I think you'll be surprised. I know the teacher here was. She
>>loved it and will be using it in the concert July 3rd.
>
>      I have yet to introduce a classical artist to Well-Temperament and not
>get a similar reaction.  The only barriers to their use are economic, and that
>is changing.  The problems occur when post-1900 music is played on pre-1800
>tunings, but these are problems that are easy to avoid.

   Yes, I already know what you mean. And I expected it. The Piano Institute
was this past week and she used the piano on which I had put the Well
Temperament for her general teaching. Everything was fine until someone
played Chopin. Then there was a little "face scrunching" done. Then someone
else played Liszt and she moved them to the other piano! :-) There was no
problem though, because I had warned her about this possibility.

>    Again, congratulations Avery, you have moved to the front lines of the
>Temperament Crusade, (where the blades are busy and sharp, but where the
>glory really is, we lead, follow, or get left behind......(:)}}}}

   Hey Ed, I always thought that was "lead, follow or get the h*** out of
the way". :-)
   It's a week of 'firsts' for me. Tonight the George Crumb prepared piano
piece, "Voice of the Whale" is performed and then Saturday the Mozart Piano
Concerto with the HT. An interesting week.

>Regards to all,
>Ed Foote

Avery