Damper Spring Replacement

DHENNESS@aol.com DHENNESS@aol.com
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:29:01 EDT

I have recently started replacing damper springs as a matter of course when I
replace dampers on old uprights.  I am doing this because I have had
unacceptable results in the past with new dampers operated by 60- to 80-year-
old springs.  I have tried replacing the springs only, and replacing the
entire flange assembly.  In both cases the job cost way more than I thought it
should (about 5 1/2 hrs for springs only, roughly same $ in parts & labor for
flanges).  The time problem in replacing the springs was in getting the old
cord out.  I tried pushing it out with center pin pliers and drilling it out,
but nothing seemed to work well.  I hope there are some tricks of the trade
out there that I am unaware of.

Thanks,
Ken Zahringer, RPT
Columbia, MO