Yamaha GH-1 Grand

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 16:04:09 EST

<< One of my customers has a Yamaha G1 that is always going out of tune much
 more quickly at the break between the bass and treble.  Would the repair
 outlined above be of any help in improving the tuning stability in this
 section?

 Thanks!
 David >>

Yes, it would.  This however should not be undertaken lightly.  The views from
some of the respondants that say the customer should have bought a better
model need to be taken into consideration.  Your customer needs to understand
that the scale design is what made this a less expensive piano.  If you
rescale the lowest octave of the tenor bridge, it should cost the the customer
plenty.

Please read all of the posts regarding this before making a decision on what
to offer your customer.  If nothing more, your customer can at least
understand why the instability is there and you can install a humidity control
system to help it.  One of the 2 hotels I tune for that has a GH-1 is very
happy with their piano just as it is.  Both hotels have it tuned every month.
I have to say that one of the pianos in particular seems to have an
exceptionally appealing sound.  The pianist loves it.  I think it sounds great
too.

You may simply get that customer used to having the piano tuned more often.
In any case, make the situation work for you, don't make the customer feel
badly about the choice of piano.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin