Weighty Problem

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:54:16 -0500

Hi, Steve, et al,

There once was a manufacturer that actions that would not repeat
properly.  Since this was a Pratt Reed action PR send a tech to check
out th4e problem.  It was discovered that the action installers were not
using the go blocks properly and installed the actions so the top of the
action was tilted toward the strings too far.

Pratt Reed used a flat milled area of the front of the mainaction rail
that was supposed to be vertical and parallel to the strings.  These
specifications were not followed, hence a performance problem.

Your points are well taken and I agree that vertical actions can be
improved and that it will likely take computer modeling to show the
inherent liabilities of current designs.

What I object to (most vociferously) is changes made without full
knowledge of the consequences and having such blind changes promoted by
a PTG member to the unillucidated.

Thank you for your input.

	Newton
	nhunt@jagat.com