wichita

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 00:26:51 -0800

Henry:
	Regarding your objection to the regulation of the piano, you are
probably looking at the action of the repetition spring.  If it is
properly tensioned (so that it lifts the hammer while slowly lifting
your finger from the key), on a soft blow, the hammer might not check,
and may appear to "bobble".  If this spring is too weak, you might find
it will check on a soft blow, but it may not repeat fast enough, or
worse, the mechanism might not work at all.  You could try adjusting the
repetition springs on a grand piano to see what I mean.
	Having attended LeRoy's class, I think that he definitely has a handle
on the important aspects of grand piano regulation, especially in
regards to those three items you spoke of.  Dip, hammer blow, and
let-off are critical to proper repetition.  But they are depending on
the  repetition spring tension to get the job done.  If the spring is
too weak, the jack won't be able to get under the knuckle.  If it is too
strong, the hammer won't check properly, amongst other things.  I would
guess they have named the most urgent adjustments when one has only a
limited time to prepare a piano for a concert.  Since concert
instruments are checked and regulated often, my guess would be that the
spring tension would already be very close to where it's supposed to be,
and the other items would need to be addressed first.
	Of course, I could be totally misreading your post.  Maybe someone else
has a better idea regarding your problem/question.
	Good luck,
	Paul McCloud, RPT
	San Diego, CA