Rim Repair

NBWW NBWW@aol.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 13:46:12 EDT

Del

As always, your messages are sprinkled with humor (as was the class you taught
the first time I met you).  The "Molding Glue" is a Franklin Adhesives product
sold through consumer venders e.g. Sears, lumber yards, buiding supply
companies. Its designed to be used as a glue for installing the wide cornice
and trim moldings popular in architecture today. The bottle mentions its quick
set, gripping power, and gap filling abilities. I don't know how much "gap" it
will fill, but I wouldn't substitute it for an epoxy to do that job. The glue
is thick to reduce running, making it a joy to use on vertical and overhead
jobs and hanging felt. I understand the "cold flow" of "white glues," and
sometimes this feature is handy, but low stress only.  I haven't tried the new
Titebond II yet, because I thought it was primarily designed for damp
environment applications. I'll get a bottle and do some testing.  Also I read
your post on how epoxy would soak into the wood making it hard and chancing
another crack. I've had that happen but now I understand why.
Thank you for your knowledgable insights and experiences that you freely share
with us. I think I speak for many when I say "we appreciate it."

Paul Chick RPT
Plainview MN