try again,

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 12:53:13 -0800

Hi, Ed.

It's more than just a question of semantics.  This idea of the soundboard as
amplifier has been around for decades -- centuries? -- and has become so firmly
ingrained in piano mythology that it has led to some rather firmly held --
though incorrect -- convictions about soundboard size.  After all, if
soundboards are amplifiers, then by simply making the soundboard bigger we can
make it 'amplify' more and the piano will be more powerful.  I.e., louder.  And
we all know that 'louder' pianos are 'better' pianos.  Right?

In general, most piano soundboards are larger than they should be.  Yet even
within the last decade pianos have been introduced with 'design innovation[s]
giving [the] piano substantially more soundboard area than other pianos of the
same length.'  The idea is supposed to be that the larger soundboard will yield
the 'power and volume of a larger piano.'  In fact, a smaller, carefully shaped
and ribbed soundboard will operate more efficiently and will give better overall
tone quality, smoother tone response, clearer articulation, greater dynamics,
better sustain, etc.  There ain't no free lunch.

Del