Auto-stepping test

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:36:40 -0600

Hi Jim,

Auto stepping is much better on the Win version of RCT for me. It is to
some extent related to processor speed. In other words a 100 megahertz
machine will auto step slower than a 200 megahertz machine. I guess Wim's
new SAT machine must have some kind of fault.

At 09:55 AM 9/30/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Here is a note which I sent to Wim last night. He suggested others might
>be interested in it.
>
><< Hi Wim:
>
> I just did a test between the RCT 2300 auto note switcher and the SAT III
> auto-stepping. I started at A0 playing next note as soon as the machine
> triggered to the its next note. Here are the results as I did the test.
>
> RCT  1 minute 35 seconds with 4 stops to manually move to the next note.
> SAT  1 minute 30 seconds with 3 stops to manually move to the next note.
>
> That is close to an average of 1 second per note. 90 seconds, 87 notes
> I suppose I could do both of them a little faster with practice. In some
> areas the auto-stepping takes place faster than in others. The 3 SAT notes
> which had to be manually moved were the top 3 notes. The 4 RCT notes which
> had to be moved manually were more spread out. I actually did another test
> in which I could not get the RCT to move to the next note for 3 notes
> starting at C1 after moving the computer around to many different
> positions. Of course in cases like this it is wiser to just reach up and
> hit the up arrow or space key.
>
> Still, all in all, the auto-stepping is a great feature on both machines.
> For SAT users, there is still the foot switch or thumb switch available.
> I don't know if there is any such thing for the RCT for those who wish to
> move from note to note at meteor speed (assuming that meteors do not exceed
> the speed of light or electric current).
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com