Another TUNE-OFF, was Re: RCT - The Daily Worker's VTD

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:51:12 EDT

List, Et Al;
  While the idea of a "tune off" between various techniques of tuning such as
Jim C and Virgil, i.e., aural vs ETD was useful for all of us to finally get
the idea that that a well tuned piano is just that, 'a well tuned piano', I am
having a hard time getting excited about the possibility of a "tune off"
between ETDs.
  Maybe I'm missing the point here but............... it seems to me that the
variables are so many, with the results being subjectively judged and trying
to reach an objective decision is at best stretching the bounds of credulity
for me.

   It would seem to be that with two, or more, very capable ETDs that the
results on the same piano, with the same technician, with the same temperament
would be so close as to be unmeasurable, either as to "in tuneness",
stability,, etc. except by the ETDs themselves.  Since we don't listen to our
pianos through the ETD while they are being played for music I hardly see the
benefit to be gained herein.

  The comparison here would be similar to two boards being joined together
with two brass screws, one having a bright finish and one having a brushed
finish and then discussing which screw is doing the best job of holding the
board together.

  But then I am a recovering aural tuner and don't know what I know about ETDs
:-)
Jim Bryant (FL)