Tuning NPI with ETDs

Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:46:59 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all,

>  But then I am a recovering aural tuner and don't know what I know about ETDs
>:-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Sorry to hear that Jim...

Question:

How well do the various ETDs handle Non-Piano-Instruments (NPIs).

Case in point: Just tuned down a neglected harpsichord which was anywhere
between $1.25 and two bucks(+) sharp. I did a real quick once over starting
with temperament octave at 440Hz. After doing 8x8x4, A440 had rebounded 40¢
sharp.

Those of you who have ETD's and deal with cembali, etc. - Do these various
machines have the ability to calculate overshoot/undershoot for such a pitch
change and/or for NPIs?

BTW, humidity in the building went from 67% Tuesday to 35% today. (1st frost
this morning, so heat is cranking) I'll let the humidity pull the pitch down
the rest of the way and then retune next week.

TroglodyteConrad

Conrad Hoffsommer         Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College            Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive         hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

       Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Digitally Activated Biopowered Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."