Is this normal procedure?

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 21:58:38 -0400

At 07:02 PM 10/1/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Phil;
<snip>
>1. It will help you hone the skills in diagnostics, to do the things that
>really need to be done in the time you have to work.
>2. It will help you do repeated repairs so that you will feel very
comfortable
>when next you run across them.
>3. It will help you to be able to work with a very severe time limitation and
>find ways to work smarter and with less lost motion.
>4. It will give you the opportunity to make and correct dumb mistakes without
>the owner standing there tapping their foot and glowering at you.
>5. It will be an aggravating, painful, frustrating experience so much so that
>you will auto delete my posts, if you don't already, after you have worked
>your way out of the contract and can lead a normal life.
>6. It will give you experience that 50 trips to Atalnta won't.
>7. It will allow you, next year or the year after, to tell someone else
asking
>the same question on the list that you've 'been there' 'done that' and that
>you don't recommend it :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

You will also develop speed tuning. 45 minutes, 30 minutes, even 20 minutes
on a good day.

I tuned for a school system for a few years, scheduling was always a conflict.
Waiting around for the custodian to unlock the auditorium.
I did not submit a bid for the local Community College, too many consoles in
concrete cubicals.

BUT, to add insult to injury; you will not be paid for at_least_six weeks
once you've submitted your bill in triplicate. So don't bid low.

Any parts which you ordered for repairs which you also discounted will take
that
long to be paid, it's like giving them a no interest loan.

$20/piano is way too low.  $30 should be your rock bottom.
But figure how much you want to make during a week and how many of their
pianos
will consume your work hours.

As Les commented, don't expect other tunings to come of this. Teachers will
expect
the same discount as the school.

It may be a good idea to preview some of these pianos too.
Look before you leap.