Is this normal procedure?

Fri, 02 Oct 1998 09:22:27 -0700

Susan Kline wrote:

> If you really can find "plenty of guys" who will "tune" for $15 a piano, (I
> wouldn't be able find any), what will their tunings sound like? What will
> their attitudes be? What impression will they make on teachers and
> principals?

Not to be throwing wet blankets or anything -- because, basically, Susan, I
agree with your sentiment -- but....

I'd guess that even in Portland I could find one or two people who would meet
most school board's definition of 'piano tuner' and who would 'tune' a bunch of
pianos for $15 each.  As to what their tunings would sound like ... who cares?
Certainly not the school board.  As long as the price is right, they're happy.
The principal?  Doubtful.  He/she is watching the bottom line and doesn't play
those pianos anyway.  As long as the contractor comes in on budget, doesn't
upset the school's schedule and gets done on time.  The teachers?  Maybe.  But
even if they can tell the difference between a piano that is in tune and one
that isn't, do you really think the principal will listen to their complaints?
She/he has been listening to complaints from teachers throughout his/her long
career.  And ignoring most of them.

> There has to be some reason why they will work for so little, and the only
> one I can see is that their work and attitudes won't support a higher fee.

Of course there is a reason.  And you've nailed it.  Frank didn't say that this
would be the best for the school, for the teachers, for the students or for our
profession.  He just said that this was the way that would make money for
someone in this situation.  And, sadly, this -- or some variation of it -- is
all too often the way it works out.

> Their work will reflect badly on you, and word spreads from teachers to
> their friends and students. I heard about a study once which showed that a
> satisfied customer told two or three people, but a dissatisfied one told 10.

Again, sadly, I've been around the mulberry bush too many times to believe
this.  I've encountered too many folks who couldn't tune their way out of a
paper piano who were doing just fine, thank you very much.  At least
financially.

> As discontent trickles back up the purchasing hierarchy, I doubt very much
> that they will take your word on the $10,000 of follow-up work.

Of course they will, you're the contractor.  You're the expert.  Assuming that
they will even consider for a moment any follow up work at all.  Let alone
$10k's worth.  In most cases it would be difficult to get authorization for
$100's worth.

> Luckily for
> us, most school systems make choices like finding a piano tuner on a local
> level, so that abuses which will succeed with federal contracts will not
> work as well with schools.

You must work for very enlightened school districts.  I'd guess that a survey
would indicate that most are not.  At least not the larger ones.

> Some tactics deserve to fail on a colossal scale.
>
> Susan

Susan,

You're absolutely right.  Some tactics do deserve to fail.  Unfortunately, all
too often, they don't.  And why don't they?  Because we don't care.  When was
the last time you, or any other piano tuner on this list, actively participated
in a school board meeting.  Not having kids is no excuse.  School board meetings
are open to the public.  We're paying for them -- dearly -- it's your money they
are spending!  When was the last time you (The generic 'you,' Susan.  Not you
personally.  I know you care.) actively lobbied a school board member on behalf
of the music department.  You can bet that the football parents get their word
in there!  When did you take the time to study the qualifications and interests
of people running for positions on the school board.

The condition of music in our schools rests on the shoulders of parents and
voters -- you and me among them -- who simply don't give a damn.

There.  I've spouted off enough now.  I feel much better.

Regards,

Del