"Young Chang certified technician?"

J Patrick Draine draine@tiac.net
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:20:41 -0500

Dear List:
I recall a thread regarding "authorized Steinway technicians" etc. in the
past, and the consensus seemed to be that there was no such
"authorization". Granted, Steinway and Yamaha do have training programs
(primarily for dealer associated technicians), but there is no company
policy that piano owners should only use "authorized" or "company
certified" technicians.
I just returned a phone call from a customer for whom (six months ago) I
evaluated a Young Chang grand, which she then purchased from the local
dealer. Now she is in the market for a tuning, but she was insistent that
she must have a "Young Chang Certified Technician". I explained that other
than PTG testing to be an RPT, I was unaware of any "Young Chang
Certification", or any special training programs (such as Steinway's or
Yamaha's).
So, after admitting, that, no, I don't have a YC Certificate, and telling
her that my tuning fee is $25 higher than she thought she remembered it,
she's calling around in search of a YCC Tech.
So, Young Chang experts, is my recollection correct that Young Chang has no
special "Certification" training?
Yours truly,
Patrick Draine, RPT (not YCC)