Yamaha G3 Bass question

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 20:25:48 -0400

Steve, and List

Where I live it is difficult to to access Yamaha, because we are supplied
either by Japan or Panama, and we try to solve the problem before invoking
the waranty, the main causes are time, and delivery expenses.

I have very seldom found defects in Yamaha base strings, but it happened to
me several month ago with a G3 also. It had a ringing noise, I gave it one
full twist ON THE DIRRECTION OF THE WINDINGS and the problem solved. Apart
from Yamaha I have done this in many pianos and it works in most of the
cases. It won´t function if the string has false beats or it sounds like a
bell.  I even had success with old strings that are dull, I first bend them
in several ways trough out all the lenght of the string as to loosen sticky
rings, and I give it 1 to 11/2 twist and they recover sound.

Elian Degen
Piano Tuner and Technician
Caracas, Venezuela  degen@telcel.net.ve
Phone 58-2-748547/ 58-14-9222981 Fax 58-2-748547

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Steve Pearson <SPearson@yamaha.com>
Para: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Fecha: Lunes, 05 de Octubre de 1998 06:06 p.m.
Asunto: Re: Yamaha G3 Bass question

>Richard...It is my understanding that Yamaha puts a half twist in our bass
strings.  The basic message of my original post, however, remains the same.
If there is a problem with the tone of any of our bass strings, twisting
them in either direction will probably have no effect,  or worse, may
exacerbate the situation.  If the piano is still under warranty (or even if
it is not),  please call us.  Strings which are not performing properly as
installed at the factory, should be replaced.  Period.