Slow Fall Fallboards

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 22:10:54 -0700

If this has been covered recently please send me the URL for the search engine and I'll dig it up on my own.  I seem to have misplaced that particular URL.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody has ever thought about or attempted to install the "slow-fall" mechanism from a Boston, Kawai, or Yamaha in another brand of piano.  I managed to drop the fall board (maybe that's how it got its name :)) on my Petrof III again last night while fooling around with the music desk.  The bang is pretty loud, (I had to scrap the dog off the ceiling) and I imagine it could really hurt if your fingers got caught.

I know my Ford Contour has small dashpots on the glove box and ashtray doors so they open ever so slowly.  Seems like it might not be too hard to add to another brand of piano, although I haven't examined a Boston closely enough to see how the mechanism works.

Anybody tried this?  How were the results?

Jory