S & S 'A' parts, geometry -- shanks and flanges

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 13:44:02 -0400

In the Robinson/Baldassin class in Providence "Truth & Consequences"
they stated that not only was the capstan to intersect a line between the
b/r and wippen center pin at half-dip (my term) but also the surface of the
knuckle is on a line between the wippen c/p and the hammer flange c/p.

An involved formula accompanied the drawing on the handout. Which had
nothing to do with the diameter of the knuckle but rather its proximity to
the hammer c/p, action spread, key ratio and hammer height.

The height (diameter) of the knuckle will affect the situation of all parts
concerned. So the appropriate diameter/radius should be selected to best
accomplish optimal parameters.  A larger knuckle will have the hammer
closer to the string at this halfway point and will consequently affect
aftertouch.

In the Renner USA Parts Kit, two different diameter knuckles are supplied.

Jon Page