Slow Fall Fallboards

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:35:34 -0700

Jory,

We get this question quite a bit at Kawai, and unfortunately the answer
is that it would be very hard to do. Not impossible, though.

The fallboard dampers cost US $112 each, and 2 are required. You also
need the correct brass pivots to go into the side of the case.

The dampers are ~2" long cylinders (about 1cm in diameter) which must be
mounted very accurately into the ends of the fallboard.  This would
require a horizontal boring jig, then a deep-bit router to mill the ends
of the fallboard for the mounting flanges.  These flanges have the screw
holes for holding the dampers into the fallboard.

The brass pivots are also cut into the rim slightly, but this could be
done easily enough with a good chisel.

The dampers can be purchased from Kawai parts, but no guarantees that
the installation will go well!

Another method of holding the fallboard up is to glue key backrail cloth
on either side of the case inside, so that when the fallboard is open,
the rear edges rub against the cloth on both sides.

Don Mannino RPT