S & S 'A' parts, geometry -- shanks and flanges

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 08:54:39 EDT

Et Al, and RicMcEngeneer;
In a message dated 10/5/98 3:43:49 PM, remoody@easnet.net wrote:

<<"I came up with 1/7 ratio for rise of knuckle to rise of hammer.
	So.....Increasing the knuckle diameter by .05 " (.1.25mm) will cause an
increase in hammer height of almost .350 " ca 11/64 +.    Or 1 mm increase
results in a 7 mm increase. If the knuckle flattens out by 1mm subrtract
7mm.">>

Is this really true?? Doesn't increasing the knuckle diameter really only
increase a given point on the knuckle 1/2 of the diameter increase??  If so
than a .05" diameter increase would only increase the radius by .025" wouldn't
it ?? If so this would only lead to a .175 hammer height increase wouldn't
it?? (all other things left untouched.)

 As for changing the after touch, by changing knuckle size, don't most things
we do affect the after touch in some manner?  As all, or almost all points are
regulatable on the action I think the only nonregulateable point affected by
larger/ smaller knuckles is the window in the balancier rail.
(I know you can shave jacks and mortise windows but these are modifications
and not regulation IMHO)
  Or am I missing something fundamental here?
Puzzled.
JIm Bryant (FL)