Breaking Strings

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Wed, 07 Oct 1998 19:31:29 -0300

Hi Clyde,
I have had a similar situation, with certain Mason & Risch pianos. The
reason in my case for the excessive bass string breakage, was that the
pin depth and/or angle were incorrect, causing the wire turnings on the
tuning pin to overlap. This caused stress and breakage.
I thought, I had figured out a fix, by backing off the pin a couple of
turns, after unhooking the string, and then reconnecting the string. But
in some cases the string broke, on being backed off, it was obviously
too stressed.
They obviously thought it was my fault, as I haven't been called back.
You can't win them all.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.