Breaking Strings

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:22:26 EDT

Greetings,
       WE all know about strings breaking, but few customers do, so........ I
would like to pass down a little wisdom that I was given many years ago by
Kelly Ward,(two time pres.  of the PTG, back when the average age in the Guild
was 52!!).
     Kelly said that "Strings break, but technicians do not break strings".
I inform the customer if there is any evidence of previously broken strings,
rust, or big pitch raises,  and caution them that I will try my best to avoid
any more.  It works, I suppose, because I have seen a lot of strings break but
never lost a customer over it.  (My personal feeling is that if you lose a
customer, it should only be because you charge more than they want to pay!)
Regards,
Ed Foote