Breaking Strings

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Wed, 07 Oct 1998 21:22:54 -0400

John Ross wrote:

> Hi Clyde,
> I have had a similar situation, with certain Mason & Risch pianos. The
> reason in my case for the excessive bass string breakage, was that the
> pin depth and/or angle were incorrect, causing the wire turnings on the
> tuning pin to overlap. This caused stress and breakage.
> I thought, I had figured out a fix, by backing off the pin a couple of
> turns, after unhooking the string, and then reconnecting the string. But
> in some cases the string broke, on being backed off, it was obviously
> too stressed.
> They obviously thought it was my fault, as I haven't been called back.
> You can't win them all.
> Regards,
> John M. Ross
> Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

John:

When this piano broke three bass strings in one tuning, I told her the
piano scared me and that I'm afraid to touch the thing again.  She's
afraid I WON'T come back and asked me at the door if I would.  Now why
did she have to do that?!  I was gonna hit the road and not come back no
mo' no mo' no mo' no mo'.

She is a very pleasant young woman, so I hate to disappoint her, but I
really don't want to see that piano ever again.  But, being the glutton
for punishment, I suppose I won't let her down (and will probably end up
breaking three MORE strings!  :-(

Clyde Hollinger