Breaking Strings

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 01:00:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 kam544@earthlink.net wrote:

> >...Kelly said that "Strings break, but technicians do not break strings"...
> >Regards,
> >Ed Foote
>
> It's true strings break on their own, but they also break if you're on the
> wrong tuning pin and aren't paying attention.  Been there at least once.

Hi, Keith:

Good point. To which I would add that that's not ALWAYS the technician's
fault. As I just pointed out in an earlier post, it is not unheard of
to encounter a three-string unison--especially in an older, lower-
quality piano--in which the strings have been CROSSED. Here the middle
pin does not control the middle string, but an outer one, and vice-
versa. Obvioously, even factory stringers occasionally did this, and
such an uncorrected mistake is a broken string just waiting to happen
to the inattentive tuner who's already calculating his bill in his
head! :)

Les Smith