S & S 'A' parts

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 13:03:27 EDT

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM writes:

<< If only S & S would trash the butterfly wippen design like Renner did by
adding the adjustment screw. >>

Whoa, Dave, don't take away my butterflies! They are an elegantly simple
solution which are inexpensive to manufacture and install, light weight, and
quicker to adjust than other designs if you have the right tool (Hart spring
tool) and a little practice.

After installation of a new set of Renner repetitions, I like to set the
screws to the middle of their travel and do the first adjustment the old-
fashioned way. This assures uniformity and saves the screw adjustment for fine
stuff . The loop doesn't fit well between the balanciers, actually slowing me
down considerably from the non-adjustable type, which I can have done in no
time, gross and fine.

Don't get me wrong, I like the consistency and alignment of the Renner parts,
and use them on some Steinways. I also use the factory (Improved) where they
seem to give the best results (usualy with significantly more contorted
traveling). If memory serves, the Hamburg parts (which we don't use on NY
pianos) have more sizes of springs than the Improved, which is a good thing.
What I don't remember is how many sizes the pre-'84 (Renner) parts available
from the factory use.

Bob Davis