Quiz du jour (easy)

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:26:24 -0700

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Instrument:
> -1968 vintage Baldwin SD10 in recital hall.
>
> Complaint:
> -Pedals heavy, and una corda feels "wierd".
>
> Heavy pedals were known to me and over the years I'd replaced coil
> springs with the lighter ones available.  Still were heavy.
> This is the first time anyone had ever complained about it, however.
>
> Repositioned damper lever spring to other side of pitman.
> Definite improvement.
>
> Repositioned sostenudo spring >halfway toward pivot.
> Definite improvement.
>
> Shift is very sluggish and spongy. Immediately suspected cheekblocks and
> loosened screws to check.
>
> No effect.

I have one here at the U. I service regularly. Just last night we had a
visiting Baldwin artist play a concerto on it.

Same problem, a rather heavy frictionous pedal feel. I traced it to the
pedal itself. Turns out that the bushings were way too tight. The
result: The pin actually started turning in the pedal instead. As you
would guess the steel pin began eating the soft brass. Eventually there
became sideways travel. I replaced the pin with one oversized and
corrected the bushing problem. MUCH better!

Rob Goodale, RPT