SAMS Piano...

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 17:35:07 -0400

Spockstein@aol.com wrote:

> List,
>
> I had forgotten all about this incident, but it happened 5 or 6 months ago. I
> was in Athens, GA and we went in to our local Sams club as usual....when low
> and behold I see a piano (a real acoustic) sitting by electronics...Well, as a
> pianist i felt the urge to sit and play but found it was nearly impossible!
> First, th price tag warned me (900 dollars or there around) and then I tried
> to play middle c. What, no sound?! no, I just hadn't slammed the key hard
> enough to produce a sound. As was the case with nearly every key. It was the
> absolute worst piano i had ever seen....and it was brand new! Now, who makes
> these? I can't remember any name but then that doesn't always tell me much.
> Sams should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking of carrying such
> worthless junk. Walton must have turned in his grave!
>
> Anyway, just had to tell everyone...lol. has anyone else seen this piano? Any
> comments?
>
> Sincerely,
> Caleb

Friends:

It musta been around that time that a woman called me about a new
discount club piano she found for $700.  I think she said the name was
Conover Cable and that it was made in one of the eastern countries.  I
didn't go see it but strongly cautioned her that it's highly unlikely it
can be a good piano for that price.

What irked me was all the time I lost as she agonized between buying
this piano or an old used spinet for $200, with me (Mr. Nice Guy Online
Counselor) on the other end of the line.  She finally decided on the new
one, scheduled a tuning, then called up later and cancelled it.  Haven't
heard from her since, so I haven't seen a red cent for all that
hand-holding.  Oh well....  So no, Caleb, I haven't seen this piano.
:-)  :-(  Whatever.

Clyde Hollinger