refuse or rebuild?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 19:11:16 -0400

Andy&Chris Taylor wrote:

> In a message dated 10/7/98 9:37:55 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<"She is a very pleasant young woman, so I hate to disappoint her, but I
> really don't want to see that piano ever again.  But, being the glutton
> for punishment, I suppose I won't let her down (and will probably end up
> breaking three MORE strings!  :-(
> Clyde Hollinger">>
>
> I would hate to think how may old player pianos I would have junked by now
> by passing them by because they broke a few Bass Strings!
> I think her piano is telling you that it needs a new set. So replace them!

Well, since I have never replaced an entire set of bass strings the
thought never crossed my mind, so thanks for mentioning it.

> I always replace all strings in a old piano, for one, they are probably
> dead, secondly, I can also solve the problem of loose pins at the same time.

	I have thought through and made what I hope are good decisions on many
things regarding the piano service business.  But this is not one of
them -- yet!  And that is, at what point should repairs be made rather
than encouraging the owner to junk a piano that should legitimately be
junked?  And who decides when THAT is?
	If I use the Repair Labor Guide to arrive at the labor charge, and use
the normal markup for a set of custom wound replacement strings, this
job will cost in excess of $500 (bass strings only).
	On the one hand, isn't that too much for a mediocre 1956 that has also
apparently had some bass bridge problems in the past and shows some
pretty significant wear?  On the other hand, it is unlikely someone will
really just load it on a truck and take it to the dump, where some
technicians are likely to believe it belonged when it was new.

> This problem will only get worse as the years go by. materials do go bad.

Yes.

> Most of the old pianos made in the teens already have 80% if the materials
> they were built from reach the end of their life. Rebuilding is in order. if
> you dont, the piano will aggravate you from the start and your work will
> never give you any satisfaction.

This particular piano isn't from the teens, but I would be interested in
input from other technicians on this.  Is the tide of thought really
changing?  I was under the impression that technicians in general
thought these old uprights with a current value of $0-$200 are deceased
and their owners should be encouraged to replace them rather than spend
megabucks to do a good rebuilding.

(big snip)

> This also includes the Lesser makes. NEVER make any remarks about how
> someone's piano is crap, even if it is. That is a sure-fire way to loose a
> job. later while your deep in the pianos innards, you just might find a way
> to improve it.

I agree with you, of course.  But can one be kind and honest at the same
time?  I inform the client they have an economy model IF (notice the IF)
there is a need, otherwise I don't mention it.  As far as I know I have
never lost a client through tactful honesty.

> some of these piano owners has had these old pianos for years, maybe it came
> from Grandma.  everybody loved Grandma, and would like to keep the piano in
> the family.These people to me, are very desirable customers
>
> Just because a job is not easy doesn't mean it should be refused. That says
> something about the people doing it.
>
> Best Regards
> Andy & Chris Taylor

I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.  Thanks!  :-)
Clyde Hollinger