breaking strings

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 21:57:43 -0600

Hi Dick,
             The job can be done at tension,  the grooves in the V bars
increases the surface area and hence the friction, any corrosion or crud is
knocked out of the way. This action will round out the grooves a little,
just enough to free the string. Be gentle with your tapping.
Regards Roger

At 09:07 PM 08/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>                 A trick I learned from an old timer, use a string
>spacer,
>and space strings, lightly tap the spacer to the left and right, then tap
>strings back to original position.  We do this on some of the old trade
>ins
>(PSO's) with rusty strings and rearly get a brakage. Some work is needed
>get rid of damper bleed. A side benifit is that it will clean up some
>false
>beats.
>Regards Roger
>

>Roger, I'm going to try this method, sounds good. Do you still let down
>the bass strings some before taking them up to pitch?
>Dick

>or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.