drop action, action bracket screw removal

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:31:42 +0000

Hi Frank,

I read everyone's advice and thought I'd add an experience I had
just the other day.  A Kimball console with a drifting jack
center pin.  These pianos are notorious for tight action bracket
bolts.  I think they use air powered equipment and sink those
suckers in.  Anyhow I proceed to try to turn the phillips head
screws out (I really hate phillips heads!)I could turn them a
little bit but I could see that I was going to bitch up the
head.  Like Wim had suggested I tried my little handy vicegrip
on the the head and was able to get one screw finally loose
enough to remove with the screwdriver.  I lubed up the threads
with Protek thick lube and turned it back in and out until it
went in fairly easily.  I proceeded to do this to each screw one
at a time.  I pulled the action removed the wippen and did the
repair and reinstalled with the original screws not bitched up a
bit.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> Date:          Fri, 09 Oct 1998 15:07:38 -0400
> From:          Frank Cahill <fcahill@erols.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       drop action, action bracket screw removal

> I was working on a Hamilton spinet today.  I needed to remove the
> drop-action.  Well...I couldn't budge any of the bracket screws that
> attached the bracket to the paino.
>
> Often, these screws are tough to get out, but I could not get even the
> slightest bit of movement on any of the screws.
>
> I tried liquid wrench...no help.
>
> I did not have s socket wrench with me, justs screwdrivers and a
> crescent wrench.  I didn't try too hard with the wrench, for fear of
> damaging the screw head.
>
> I've never had this problem before....and I take lots of drop-actions
> out of pianos.  Any other ideas other than drilling?
> --
>
> Frank Cahill
> Associate Member
> Northern Va