plastic bushings,

Joel A. Jones jajones2@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 23:36:34 -0500

Wim & James,
I've been installing plastic bushings for UW for many years.  I also find
that they wear well over time and the results are better than felt.  A
benefit for my work situation is the ease of iinstallation.   Can use the
drill press  and a work/study student can do an excellent job.
	The front bushings need a bit of mortise work.  Using a router
table I inset the bushings so they are level with the wood of the key.  I
route across the key from side to side  the thickness of the lip of the
insert. This means not having to readjust the dip.  I also check for a
careful cut  front to back,  for a short slot will make the insert walls
collapse.  The walls of the insert usually  squeeze against the pin if
fitted to tight.   I have tried to ease the bushing with easing pliers, but
the plastic returns to it's original shape.
	I have not experienced noise with these bushings.   They remain
well regulated and need little attention after the first few weeks of use.
There may be a few that change and become snug.  After I quit easing and
concentrated on resetting the insert I have had very little problem.
	Give them a try.  I made a few simple fixtures for the drill press
for speed and accuracy.
Joel

><< They are on the same level as the complete plastic red felt bushing
>replacements.  you just wallow out the hole and drop in the red plastic.  I
>bought some but was afraid to use them for the noise they might generate.
> James Grebe >>
>
>I put in a set of plastic bushings once in a grand piano at the Adams Mark. As
>much as that piano was played, they went through a set of bushings once a
>year.
>
>The plastic bushing were great. I didn't have to remove any wood. I glued them
>in, and they worked. The only problem I had was adjusting the dip. Because the
>bushings protruded beyond the key, I had to take out all the felt punchings,
>and readjust the dip. I hadn't allowed for the time to do this, so I lost a
>little money on  the job. But the keys didn't make any noise, and three years
>after I put them in, they were still working. (This was 10 years ago, and I
>haven't been back to that piano since. I ought to stop by one of these days
>and see if they are still in there.)
>
>From my experience, I am surprised plastic bushings aren't being done on a
>mass scale. Any of you with other stories on plasitc bushings.
>
>Wim

Keep In Tune
Joel A. Jones                           jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW-Madison                           http://uwpianos.music.wisc.edu/