Hearing Protectors

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:36:16 -0400

Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Hello,
>    Where can I get the strongest hearing protectors?  Most I've seen are
> attenuate around 30db at best and only in some frequency ranges.  Does
> using foam ones in addition to headset type do much better?  What do
> people use who direct jets in and out of gates?
> -Mike Jorgensen

I was in the air force from 1970-1974.  We wore ear plugs and/or ear
muffs on the flight line. I have my hearing tested once a year and my
hearing is still within the normal range except for a small loss at a
rather high frequency. Above and below that frequency (left ear only),
everything is fine. I'll be 47 yrs old in December.

When I tune, I use standard ear plugs from home centers.

You are correct, most ear plugs attenuate from 20 - 30 db, with the
greatest attenuation at the higher frequencies.  That's ok, becuase it
seems that most damage is done to high frequency hearing.  If you listen
to  music with ear plugs, it sounds funny because the attenuation varies
with frequency.

Musicians' ear plugs are available with a flat frequency attenuation.
The result is that the music is softer, but sounds ok.

What are you protecting against?  If 30 db is not enough, maybe you
should not be there.  I have worked on F4 fighter jets, sitting on top
of the engine at FULL THROTTLE (aircraft chained to prevent forward
movement) checking out electrical systems and it was tolerable with ear
muffs.

--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member