clicking grand hammer shanks

Don Mannino DonMannino@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:18:24 -0700

James Grebe wrote:

> Hi Don,
> I figured it was the flange action center because the hammer
> head glue joint
> was solid and when I switched A (clicker) with A flat
> (non-clicker) the
> noise followed A.  Doesn't that make sense?

Well, there are a few other click sources that move with the shank and flange assembly. I just haven't yet found an action center that clicked unless it was noticeably loose.  I don't mean to say that it can't, just that I would also look at other things, like the knuckle or drop screw.  As you noted, it seems strange that the center would click when the friction is the same as the non-clicking note.

If you haven't already done so, a dab of moisture on the end of the hammer shank sometimes is telling - I have seen hammers that looked and felt tight, but the glue joint was still loose enough to make noise.  These are best repaired with a drop of thin C/A glue front and back (after it's dry, anyway) - no need to pull the hammer off.

Don Mannino