Birdcage, more

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:39:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/98 8:06:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
imatunr@primenet.com writes:

<< And even be ready to tune
 the instrument 1/2 step low so that it will not implode. >>

Conrad also wrote:

<<I spent the entire afternoon regulating and tuning (M3 flat).>>

I have heard of others that were a 3rd flat.  Anytime a piano is *that* flat,
you have to suspect a severe structural problem.  Assuming that it has one, an
attempt at raising it to Standard Pitch might cause more damage and at the
very least, would not be stable.

PTG's statement on this in the printed public handout on Pitch Raising states
that tuning a piano at nonstandard pitch is "seldom appropriate".  I agree
completely.  These pianos however are sometimes the reason for making an
exception.  Really, tuning any very old (100 years plus) piano at a
nonstandard pitch because of structural weakness or failure is, in my opinion,
the proper thing to do.  To be absolutely hard lined about the 440 standard in
this instance would only be destructive.

If there is enough interest in the piano to play according to standard
specifications, then there must be enough funds to have it properly restored.
Otherwise, nonstandard pitch is the only alternative to having the piano be of
no use at all *unless* and *until* it is restored.  In my view, the working
technician should "get 'em comin' 'n' goin' ", so to speak.  Provide tuning
and whatever other maintenance might be helpful, at premium fees, until the
customer decides to go through with the restoration.  Afterwards, the
technician has a whole new history and experience with it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin