Birdcage

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:31:00 EDT

<<
 Dear List,

 	Someone called yesterday and asked me to tune a birdcage piano.

 	I declined because I have heard so many horror stories about
 servicing them.  Apparently they were quite popular in England.

 	If anyone has experience please share.  I understand that the pins
 require a different tuning lever tip.  What cautions should we observe
 before undertaking?

 	This is the 3rd time I have been asked to service a birdcage so it
 would be nice to know how to tune them.

 Thanks,

 Eliot Lee

There a lot of "Birdcage" pianos in our area because a liquidation company
buys them, or used to buy them in shiploads.  They are refered to as an
overhanging damper system.  Commonly called "cottage pianos' for the English
dukes to put in guest houses, there were a lot of them because they were easy
to manufacture.  Case work is magnificant, some with swinging candleabras to
boot.  As well as Engish, there were German, and French birdcage pianos.  Some
Engish pianos were made until after the turn of the century.  Tradition, I
guess.

Very few birdcage pianos can be tuned to A-440.  Many of them I see are nearly
1/3 of a step or more flat.  If this is a piano that little Jonnie or Suzy is
to practice on, I do not recommend it.  If it is for show and tell, then you
may be able to get a "less bad" tuning.

If you decide to do it (I usally refuse if this is a practice piano) carry all
of the tuning lever tips availalable.  Some birdcage pianos will have oblong
pins. I like to remove the action and strip mute the entire piano.  Leave
enough leader in the strip to wedge between a hammer so you can remove one
side of the unison at a time and tune.  Tune at the pitch you find as well as
you can.   Chances are you will have a satisfied customer.  Fortunately I have
only a few customers with this type of piano, and those I do tune for, know
and understand the condition of their piano.  These customers will eventually
upgrade to a better piano.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR