Birdcage

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@calcna.ab.ca
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 06:02:04 -0600 (MDT)

 	Tom,

	Your comment about shipping birdcages halfway across the Atlantic
reminded me of this great story told by Gordon Fishwick of Calgary,
Alberta:

	"I used to travel into the area of Nelson, British Columbia, for
the Heintzman Piano Company. I'd stay several days at a time, servicing
pianos that had been sold and others in the area. There were lots of new
pianos in the homes of the two hundred miners at Emerald Mine south of
Nelson. Since there was no bridge over the Nelson river at that time, I
made many trips across on the old ferry.
	One day, the Mayor of Nelson asked me to come and tune his piano:
"a very valuable antique." That description should have tipped me off.
	I arrived at the Mayor's house and went into the parlor. There it
stood in all of its massive glory--an 1850 square grand! I examined it
and found it in pretty bad shape. Actually, there wasn't much left.
	Searching for a convincing way to tell him this news, my big mouth
almost got me into deep trouble. "Mr. Mayor," I said, "I think we should
put this piano on a truck and take it down to the ferry. Then, when we're
halfway across the river, we should say a prayer and consign it to the
deep."
	There was a shocked silence. I wondered if he might throw me out
of the house. But then he began to laugh. Was I glad! We had a drink
together and remained good friends for many years.
	I don't know what he actually did with the old square but he
bought another piano which I tuned many times.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta-