RE pitch raises

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:31:51 -0300

Hi Dick,
That happened to me about 20yrs. ago.
In situations where a piano is away down in pitch, and I'm going to bring it
up, I always feel around the back at the alignment, of the sides and back.
Uneveness is a dead giveaway.
I carry 8" c-clamps, and a selection of carriage bolts, washers and nuts.  I
just drill out the lag bolt or screw holes to 1/2", and install the bolts,
all the way through.  I draw it together, with epoxy squeezing out of the
space.  I don't even lower the tension, then I tune either down or up to
pitch.
Another giveaway is that the dampers do not come off the strings very much.
I have saved numerous pianos over the years.
I also shared the info with other tuners, and a few have indicated to me,
that I saved them from breaking a plate.
So check out the older pianos, before a large pitch raise.

Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.