S & S 'A' parts, geometry -- shanks and flanges

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:45:10 -0400

Now that this subject has been thoroughly aired I would like to finish
it, since I started it, with some personal comments.

I think that when we rebuild an action I would like to get it to perform
as best as it can with the original intent of the manufacturer.  If this
means using German, Japanese or American parts I will do so in any
combination that produces the best result, for the piano and for the
customer.

Geometry is non-partisan and non-national.  It is the greatest feeling
of freedom to have the choices we have now.  I can remember back to the
time when we had maybe to choices, worse and worser, and it was not so
long ago at that.

Be GLAD you have choices and do the right thing for the piano and for
the customer.

This has been an excellent discussion which is carrying on in other
threads.

I am eternally grateful for choices, for intelligent people like David
Stanwood, for information here and elsewhere, for the ability to discuss
such matters, for the willingness of people who know more than I, for
the freedom we enjoy and the resources we have.

Thank you my friends, one and all.

                        Newton