Yamaha spinet

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:35:40 -0400

Mark Graham wrote:

> I have one customer with a Yamaha spinet from the 70's. It is the only
> Yamaha spinet I have ever seen. It is a wonderful instrument, very
> reminiscent of an Acrosonic, complete with the irritating fallboard
> design and the wooden assembly instead of wire stickers. It still sounds
> great, and even though I hadn't tuned it in four years, it was as sharp
> today as if I had tuned it earlier this year.
>
> Question: are these made today? If not, why were they discontinued? Would
> that all spinets were this nice.
>
> Mark Graham
> Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
> Berea, Ohio

Mark:

I also have seen only one Yamaha spinet, about a year ago.  If the
Ancott Music Product Directory is complete, only one company still makes
spinets.  Baldwin makes spinets with the Wurlitzer name.  I'm quite sure
I heard Kent Webb of Baldwin say they still make them because there is a
market for them.

Clyde Hollinger