Yamaha spinet

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:44:36 -0700

Hello Mark, and list.  the Yamaha spinets were indeed amazing little pianos, and arguably one of the best around.  I would not want this to be interpreted as the Gospel according to Yamaha, but it has always been my impression that the principal problem, is the same one that has plagued all spinets, particularly the good ones:  they're expensive to make.  Consider the engineering, and complexity of the action, compared to a direct blow system.  From a marketing standpoint, it is hard to sell a small piano for the same price as a bigger piano, without lowering quality, which Yamaha was clearly not prepared to do.   It's only my opinion, but it seems reasonable to me.  I had a number in my client list, and each one was a joy to service, something I could not say about very many spinets.
Steve Pearson RPT

>>> Mark Graham <magraham@bw.edu> 10/15 9:28 AM >>>
I have one customer with a Yamaha spinet from the 70's. It is the only
Yamaha spinet I have ever seen. It is a wonderful instrument, very
reminiscent of an Acrosonic, complete with the irritating fallboard
design and the wooden assembly instead of wire stickers. It still sounds
great, and even though I hadn't tuned it in four years, it was as sharp
today as if I had tuned it earlier this year.

Question: are these made today? If not, why were they discontinued? Would
that all spinets were this nice.

Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
Berea, Ohio