upright wippens

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:24:03 -0500

>Howdy all,
>I'm a lurker on pianotech and have been learning quite a bit from everyone.
>Thanks!  I work for Miami University (in Ohio) and one of my current
>projects is a 30 year old Baldwin Hamilton that I decided to 'recondition'
>to put in a practice room (the department got it for $200 from a branch
>campus).  The question is: are there tests for the pinning in upright
>action parts?  Grams of resistance?  Swing test?  Should I skip it anyway
>because of the time input?  Right now it appears that the pins are all
>tight in the birdseyes, but I'm just wondering about the condition of the
>felt bushing.  OK, I'm ready for answers!
>
>Jon Ralinovsky
>Miami U.
>Oxford,OH
>"Give me immortality or give me death"

hello jon, hearing from you answers my curiosity about who got the miami
gig.  I am from oxford and visit often.  my daughters still live there with
their mother.  i had applied for the tech job there back in 1990 but nevin
essex got it.  a year later i landed the job here at o.u. so it was all for
the better.  i grew up in oxford and spent a good part of my teenage years
practicing in the cpa and taking lessons with jim olcott.  (do the kids
still call him j.o.?)  alot of memories there.

as for your hamilton, i don't have any great wisdom to share and i don't
want to insult you with basics.  my experience with the practice rooms here
is pin the flanges so they work well and move on.  i have taken hours to do
fine work only to have the piano beaten to a pulp.  now i try to do a good
job and not be disappointed when it gets trashed.  hamiltons are pretty
sturdy animals.  rebush the keys with leather, give it a decent regulation,
and then chain it to the wall and hope some kid doesn't use it for a sled
at peffer (sp?) park the first time it snows.

i look forward to meeting you sometime.  good luck in oxford.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429