clicking grand hammer shanks more

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:38:07 -0500

Thanks to all giving their advice on the click.  I will try CA glue on the
knuckle joints and head joints before I change or repin flanges in 6 months
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G
pianoman@inlink.com
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano Peripherals in
St. Louis, MO
-----Original Message-----
From: Don Mannino <DonMannino@worldnet.att.net>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Tuesday, October 13, 1998 9:20 AM
Subject: RE: clicking grand hammer shanks

>James Grebe wrote:
>
>> Hi Don,
>> I figured it was the flange action center because the hammer
>> head glue joint
>> was solid and when I switched A (clicker) with A flat
>> (non-clicker) the
>> noise followed A.  Doesn't that make sense?
>
>Well, there are a few other click sources that move with the shank and
flange assembly. I just haven't yet found an action center that clicked
unless it was noticeably loose.  I don't mean to say that it can't, just
that I would also look at other things, like the knuckle or drop screw.  As
you noted, it seems strange that the center would click when the friction is
the same as the non-clicking note.

>If you haven't already done so, a dab of moisture on the end of the hammer
shank sometimes is telling - I have seen hammers that looked and felt tight,
but the glue joint was still loose enough to make noise.  These are best
repaired with a drop of thin C/A glue front and back (after it's dry,
anyway) - no need to pull the hammer off.