Tuning

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:19:04 -0400

Kenneth W. Burton wrote:

>         Jonathon,
>
>         My suggestion, having made all the mistakes one can make when
> trying to learn how to tune, is that you keep on using the 4ths and 5ths
> temperament. It is OK to use 3rds and 6ths to keep on track but don't make
> them your major emphasis in tuning. If you depend on them too much, you
> may resist the hard work of listening to and setting the slow beats.

Ken,

Although there are still some tuners out there who would agree with your
approach, it is my firm belief that more and more aural tuners have
found that they could get more accurate results by making good use of
thirds and sixths.  I wrote an article in the March 1981 PTJ called
Evaluating Temperament Sequences that was reprinted in the PTG resource
book - The Tuning Examination.  It offers a sort of grading system for a
variety of sequences based on the amount and quality of information a
sequence gives you early in the procedure, specifically, after four
notes.  We are interested in: 1) the number of useful (measurable)
intervals, 2) interval comparisons, 3) the ability of the sequence to
take different degrees of inharmonicity into account, and 4) the number
of pitch intervals produced.

A fourths/fifths sequence is a good procedure to start with, but if it
doesn't produce thirds and sixths that have a uniform rate of increase
in the beat rates as you go up the scale, what do you do next?

Carl Root, RPT