Tuning

Jay/Deb Mercier mercier@minnewaska.com
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:27:58 -0500

This is the method I use too.  Nailing the F to A major third, A to C#,
etc...  Starting to tune with this temperment wasn't so difficult in the
early years.  The part that was difficult for me was lining up the fifths
and fourths after I thought the thirds were right on.  Whoa, was I in for
some work ahead.  In fact, I didn't even bother listening to the fifths and
fourths during the first two years of tuning (those were the experimental
$25.00 dollar jobs).  After a few complaints, I realized I needed to work on
accuracy in the thirds, but also test those thirds with fourths and fifths.

The combination of setting a temperament with thirds and then fine adjusting
of fifths and fourths has worked well for me.

This is the "Steggeman" temperament I learned from tuning class in Shell
Lake, WI.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Jay