Tuning Player Uprights

Cliff Lesher lesher@jdweb.com
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:16:14 +0000

I read recently in Fine's Piano Book the following about player pianos:

 "Many (technicians) won't even consent to tune them because the player
mechanism is in the way and makes tuning difficult.  Actually, a
knowledgeable technician can often remove the parts that are in the way
quite quickly..."

This left me with the impression that tuning a player would be nearly
the same as tuning a "normal" upright.

With these facts and impressions in mind, I faced my first player
upright the other day.  I immediately removed the  brace that extended
from the plate to support the "roller box."    I was about to remove
this box altogether and the bellows assembly to its right when I saw all
of the tubing connected to them.  This was enough for me to disqualify
myself as "knowledgeable" for the time being.  This was a pretty
frustrating tuning.

Can anyone impart some knowledge please?

Cliff Lesher
Lewisburg, PA